Monday, November 11, 2013

Thank You whoever you are

Every Veteran's Day I like to post about the family's Navy history. Grandpa was a Chief Petty Officer and had originally joined the Navy in time to be part of the shore patrol just after the great San Francisco earthquake in 1906. He was in China, Panama, Japan, his ship brought supplies to Hawaii just after Pearl Harbor. His tour of duty was long and amazing with time at home to own a gorcery store, run for councilman and spend tie with his family.

His son, my Uncle, joined at the beginning of WWII and served throughout the war and then again for Korea. This year my dear, sweet Uncle left us after living over 90 years. It was sad to think of the last of this amazing group leaving us but what a great legacy they left.

My "part" of this legacy was Dad. He also joined at the beginning of WWII and again for Korea. He served on the same ship as my Uncle and ended up being brought home with my uncle where he met Mom and, well, you can figure out the rest.

There were other veteran's in the family - Dad's brother in law on the other side was also on the ship; my cousins served in Viet Nam; a cousin's husband was in the Navy reserve; Dad's father was in the Army. So many family members heard their nation's call and answered.

I'm proud of every one of them and I'm thrilled to know they helped us have a free country where we can rejoice on our freedoms or complain about anything and everything without fear of the government. We can decide what we want to become and try to attain it. We DO have the freedom to pursue happiness which isn't there for many people around the world.  So, all the members of my family and everyone else's family - THANK YOU!!!!

No comments: