Wednesday, March 11, 2009

To put off doing something

Procrastinate: To put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness.

I just saw how many days its been since I last posted. I've been doing things - knitting group, work, lots of TV watching, some knitting, very little house cleaning, obviously no posting.

I ended up in one of those time warp things the past couple weekends. I'd wake up, get breakfast, plop down in my chair and turn on the TV for a few minutes. Pick up the knitting and suddenly notice it was 2pm and I hadn't done anything. The worst weekend time warp device TV marathons. If there's an NCIS marathon or another show I like, I watch one episode then before there's a commercial they start the next episode so you get sucked into watching "just one more". Multiple that by the entire day and WHOOSH! it's 7pm and you've done nothing but knit and watch Mark Harmon. This past weekend was catching up on my Netflix DVDs. Some British TV shows so each DVD was 4 hours and I had 3 of them to watch.

So what did I knit? Some of my knitting is - sorry can't show you stuff. But I do have a few things I can show you.

Wednesday I bought the latest Knit Today Magazine. Issue 29- Jan 2009. Inside was a cute little teddy bear. I have a family member expecting a baby in July so the teddy spoke to me. It had to be knit. It turned out to be very quick and very cute. I made it out of Woolease so it will be washable- babies need things washable!


What's this? Another critter waiting to be born. Bert is gonna love playing with this one! - Chief

I decided to make the little "ruffle" down the front white and a little different from the original. Mine's more fluffy. Once this little guy is put together it will also have a white collar. Because I don't need it to be finished until summer I'm waiting to stuff it. It will be easier to store if it isn't stuffed. Plus - It will be less interesting to Bert. Must protect the little guy from Bert's fun and games!

I also have been playing with hairpin lace crochet. I was going to submit this scarf to a crochet magazine but the deadlines for next winter snuck up on me and went so- no submission. I'll probably finish it and write it up anyway. The picture below is 1 strip from being done. I ran out of yarn and got sucked into the TV Zone so didn't make it over to get more yarn.
As you can see, one edge has a green strip with a nice edge, the other lots of brown loops. If you've never worked hairpin lace- it's a fork (2 wire bars held apart by top and bottom spacers).
Making strips consists of working single crochets in between the wires and flipping the fork around to create loops around it. I'll write up a better description later.
Once you have several strips of the length you need, the strips are put together by crocheting or working the loops together. This scarf works 3 loops together at time. I thought the finished joined loops a bit like cables.
So- what do you think? Once its done you think this will be a nice scarf?
Oh- the best part? I made this scarf in a couple short evenings. Hairpin lace can be very fast and use up the stash very quickly!

Thanks for bringing this box home, Mom . I haven't had something good to squish into for a while. - Chief
Ah, Chief..... those boxes are for sorting paperwork. Sorry big boy. Mom needs them tomorrow. - Mom



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahahaha nice kitty