Thursday, September 13, 2012

Time out for Crocheting

I have a couple pictures so thought I pass them along to you all.

First the Christmas wall hanging. I stopped by a local shop a few days ago to find a middle border fabric. My original thought was red but after looking at the center with various fabrics I decided a "shiny" white would set things off rather nicely.

Here's the original idea.



Now here's what I ended up with. It's 3x3 instead of 4x4. I still need to layer and quilt but, it's getting there. I originally saw the compass in the quilt - gold center with the black/green spokes but now I'm seeing the gold/red as Christmas ornaments on a tree because the green abd black ended up being lighter materials than my plan.



Then, I crochet very rarely but I saw a block pinned by a friend and liked it so ended up making one to try it out and now I'm making a lap size quilt for guests who get a bit chilled. I'll be keeping this one away from the cats the best I can so it won't be totally filled with hair when used.



One thing I'm really proud of is my finishing abilities. Here's a close up of the seam between 2 of the blocks. Normally you can clearly see where the join is but I think I've done a pretty good job at making it blend into the finished lapghan (is that a real word?). Anyway, the way I make this nice clean finish is treating the edges like I would knitting and using mattress stitch to join things up.



Next time I join a couple edges I'll try to remember to take some pictures in case anyone is interested.

No comments: