I made a couple solid bands on the top for extra strength. It still needs a button for the loop closure on the top but, I'm pleased with it.
I also kept crocheting rounds until I was done with 2 balls then stopped to make the handles. After that I just kept going on the bag until I was out of yarn. I ended up with about 8 inches when all was done. That should be about enough to sew in a button.
I'll be working on writing up the pattern over the next couple weeks. I have a few people testing the basic pattern before I rewrite a final version.
So, now I have a reusable market bag that used up 20 year old yarn and in the process I found out that Rust can indeed go green.