Monday, September 28, 2009

Planning a Knitting Party

This weekend was very exciting. A few weeks ago a conversation got going about some of us in the She-Knits Podcast group on Ravelry getting together live and in person. I casually mentioned the Minnesota Knitter's Guild Yarnover which take place in April. We're in the middle of the country - the list of teachers is GREAT - we have a ton of Yarn Shops for a yarn crawl the same weekend. I pretty much was bragging up Minnesota. Then something happened.

Some of the gang said they were going to come. Sometime during this weekend it became a very real thing and the party is on! I'm having some of them staying at my house. We're talking other things to do before and after the Yarnover. It's totally taken on a life of its own. YEA!

Now - here's the problem. I have 6 months to get the house into the shape that I think it should be for people to stay who will probably never see the house again and this will be their only opinions of my homemaking skills. I know - they'll all say, don't worry, it'll be fine. But - I was raised by an obsessive hostess/must do for everyone else kind of person. It's been drummed in my head to be the perfect hostess. This is the reason why I rarely have people over to the house - I live with my mess and a lot of cat fur hanging around the house (see last post).

Time to make a list. Paint the bathroom. Set up the loom. Clear the crap from around the studio. I can do this and still maintain my life and sanity because - unlike my Mother - when I fail to get everything I think should be done complete -I'll still have everyone here, I'll enjoy myself, and I'll make some self deprecating jokes about what a terrible housekeeper I am and that will be that.

No comments: