Saturday, September 19, 2009

Yarn events in my future

Around the country we have billions and billions of yarn gathering opportunities. Come fall everyone starts talking about Rhinebeck. recently was Stitches Midwest. Before that Sock Summit. Of course, there are also smaller gatherings - local knit groups, classes at your LYS and so much more.

Having all these choices really can be traumatic. I wanted to go to Stitches Midwest but decided I couldn't get enough time off to make the trip to Chicago worth it. Now I've got some friends from Ravelry trying to convince me to go to Rhinebeck. I really want to go, but finances in these current times are tight. Rhinebeck is a huge gathering and would be great to go. I know I'd have fun. I really want to meet up with my net-friends. Will the airfare fates be kind to me? Looks like I have some serious airfare hunting and thinking to do this weekend.

Another yarn gathering coming up this spring is the Minnesota Knitter's Guild's annual Yarnover. Every April this group of volunteer's gets teachers from around the country for a one day event. It's held at a local high school and includes a vendor area. The keynote speaker this year (April 2010) will be Cat Bordhi. Other instructors include: Beth Brown Reinsel, Carol Rhoades, Cookie A, Edie Eckman, Franklin Habit, Gayle Roehm, Ginger Luters, Jared Flood, (aka Brooklyn Tweed), Judy Pascale, Lily Chin, Lucy Neatby, Margaret Fisher, Romi Hill, Susanna Hansson, Meg Swanson and Amy Detjen. (list is from the Ravelry Yarnover 2010 group). Pretty impressive for a local gathering! If you join MKG for 2010 during the month of December you get first pick at classes. This is one event I will not miss and I'm hoping some of my net-friends will be able to come and enjoy it with me.

No comments: