Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Happy Blogiversary to me

Today is my blogiversary. One year. Believe it or not I’m amazed I kept this up. I’m a great starter but the follow through isn’t always there. Or, I should say, the old me was that way. The past month I starting working on changing that (self-remodeling project).

For my special day I decided I’d talk a bit about what I’ve learned from other blogs and this whole new way of communicating with other people.

1. There are a lot more knitters out there than the world thinks. Over 100,000 on Ravelry so far. That's a serious amount of knitters!
2. Knitters are not just little old ladies sitting around making ugly scarves that you get and have to wear when they come to visit.
3. Knitters are computer savvy and know how to use the computer to reach out to others for help, research and just plain fun.
4. When bloglines says you have 5 subscribers but many more than 5 people visit the blog every day it’s time to figure out how everyone finds out when I put up a new post. So – how do you all check blogs? Bloglines, some other server, check in everyday in case there’s something new? Just curious.
5. A LOT of knitters have cats – many more than 1 cat.
6. Blogs are very powerful. If someone posts a new word on their blog (say “kinnearing”) it rushes around the world blog to blog and ends up becoming a new word mentioned in an article of an important newspaper.
7. I know a lot more about knitting possibilities and patterns then I would if I didn't have a blog and hang out on Ravelry.

I’m glad I became a part of this community and plan to keep on sharing dumb stories about the cats, successes and problems of knitting and I’ll throw in a couple of stories about my self-remodeling I'm doing.

Thanks for reading and commenting. You’re all the greatest!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Happy Blogiversary!
I use Google Reader, I find it much nicer than Bloglines.

Anonymous said...

I get to you through the Friends Blogs tab in Ravelry.

Jill said...

I guess I do it the old fashioned way. I just click on you on my favorites list and see if there's anything new. And I do use the friends blogs tab, too...when I remember it. Happy one year!!

Toni said...

YAY!!! Happy anniversary!

I have feeds on My Yahoo. I have tried Bloglines, but I don't think it's nearly as easy.