Monday, August 6, 2007

SP11 "Homework"

I got homework today. I joined the Secret Pal 11 and we have been asked to answer the following questions. You may be interested or not. But - here they are…..

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Favorite yarns are comfortable yarns that are all or mostly natural fibers. I do not like acrylics that are hard on the hands or natural fibers that are hard on the hands. With this said lately I've been knitting with Cascade 220, cottons, KnitPicks merino wool, I got some bamboo but haven't tried it yet.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Two things. I made a case that's the size of a 3-ring notebook out of denim several years ago. It's got plastic pockets and a zipper around the whole thing. That holds my huge collection of my old straights and my Grandmas straights. The circular and dpn have been living in a hinged metal box because I haven't gotten around to getting something better.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn?
Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I started knitting about 1964. Grandma taught me and I made a ton of Barbie doll scarves. I quit until college and took it up again in the late 70s. I'd consider myself advanced. I've gotten ribbons at the State Fair, taught classes, wrote for a few magazines (machine knitting) and last decade I owned my own shop for 5 years.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Nope.

5. What's your favorite scent?
I don't like heavy smells. I never wear perfume but in candles I like natural smells if they're light. Rose, lavender, other floral, and light fruit smells such as citrus.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Give me chocolate or give me death! My sweet tooth is expensive. I'm not big on Hershey's candy bars (but I won't turn them down). Lately I've been into Lindt's Lindor dark chocolate truffles. YUM! I also like but can't find Aero bars from England. But - if it's chocolate, I'm happy.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Spinning is the one fiber thing I haven't tried, yet. I have a 4 heddle loom, quilt, do stained glass, I'm sewing a lot of stuff for my "new" house (moved this winter). Crafts are pretty much- if it exists I'll try it at some point. (hey, I even sew my own undies)

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like classical, christian contemporary, light rock, new age. I have several MP3 players.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
If you look in my wardrobe you see a lot of navy and black pants and tops of many colors including blues-roses-teals. The house is mostly dusty blues and roses but heading toward Tuscany type colors. I really don't enjoy oranges.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
If you spend any time on my blog you know I am owned by 2 cats - Chief (a Ragdoll) and Bert (a British Shorthair).

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I live in Minnesota - do the math! However - no ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
My favorites are things out of yarn. It's hard to narrow down favorite things - I knit sweaters, vests, shawls, socks, scarves, hats, gloves, mittens, baby stuff, afghans, dish cloths, dolls, you get the picture.

13. What are you knitting right now?
A cable sweater, a mitered vest from the last Knitters, socks, Mystery Shawl, silk cardigan, and various small projects for charity

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yup!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I'm building a new collection of Addi turbo and lace circular. I just got a pair of KnitPicks circ but haven't had a chance to try them to see how they feel.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Both. Leftovers from when I owned my shop.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I just found a Christmas socking I think I started about 20 years ago.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas. The whole family including extended family gets together.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Hundred dollar bills! (sorry, had to try) Lilliput Lane Cottages. Angels that are "adult" - I don't collect cutesy angels. Jim Shore angels. Local cookbooks.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Not having to deal with a husband gives me the chance to buy most books I want. But - I haven't tried too many sock yarns yet. I like to try yarns that other people have tried and like. I'm working on my Addi circular needle collection (I have 24"-6; 32"-2,4,8,9) my other circular have the stiff cables like Boye and I find them hard to knit with. One book I'd like is Starmore's Tudor collection but it's impossible to find and from what I hear very expensive.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'm always trying new and strange techniques. I taught people how to knit 3-D faces (machine knitting) and have decided to play around with realistic looking cats next.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yup. Women's size 10 with thick ankle. I like short sock legs.

23. When is your birthday?
Nov. 6

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
Nope.

Sorry. This got a lot longer than I thought it would.

No comments: