Saturday, May 19, 2007

Dead Batteries - Dead Head

There was just a clip on the news of the Greensburg, Kansas students who are graduating this year. So I decided it was a sign to remind everyone of the Rebuilding Greensburg Block by Block project. Go to Laura's blog to get the details on knitting (or crocheting) 8" blocks for afghans that will go to all the families in Greensburg.

I spent a very strange day. No pictures because I bought cheap batteries for my camera and it's dead.
I usually wake up long before I actually get up on Saturday's because my internal clock doesn't know I can sleep in. This problem does go away within 2-3 days of being on vacation and I can sleep in with the best of them! Today I woke up to a headache. To make a potentially really long story short - I was in a car accident about 20 years ago that screwed up my internal temperature gauge in my head. Strange but true. I can't take heat like I used to. So- I had too many covers on last night and I got hot. So - a headache. If I catch it in time it won't turn in to a migraine. I decided to go back to sleep and try to get rid of it. By the time I got up it was noon. Nothing else to do but find some food and knit a little. So - I knit.

Yesterday I had a few minutes between meetings and found myself on the north east side of the cities so I went to Sheepy Yarn Shoppe in White Bear Lake. What a deal. I haven't been there for years because I don't live near there but, they were having a sale. I got a couple balls of Plymouth Encore (75% acrylic,25% wool) for a friend I'm going to teach to knit and 20 skeins of Berocco Denim Silk in a light faded gray. The silk was 50% off- how can you say no to that?!?

The Encore may not see my friend. I decided to play around with it today to see how I liked it before having her learn on it. I like it! Good price. Good texture. Fun colors. Guess I'll have to go get more. I started making a shawl for guests. Because of the head thing (heat gives me headaches) my house tends to be fairly cool. I kept it at 66 this winter and was plenty warm, for me. When friends come over the afghans come out. I decided a nice shawl would be a good choice for someone to use here. I have a few friends that are convinced they're "wool challenged" so a yarn with just a bit of wool should help keep them warm but not itchy. I'll post pictures when I get batteries. I'm using a pattern I found at Elann's web site called Aran Weight Victorian Lace Shawl.

The Sock of the Month club socks are coming along. I got the first sock knit to the gusset and when I picked up the extra stitches and knit the first row I didn't like the way the pic up row looked. Too open. I ripped out and re knit the heel flap using my tried and true method. Garter stitch the ends. This time around I did garter stitch on the first and last stitch of each row. I started using this method because of Elizabeth Zimmerman. She wrote a sock pattern back in Fall 1963 called Woodsman's Socks. It was in her newsletter and leaflet #10. I've made a ton of these socks. I don't know if the pattern is still available but you can check out Schoolhouse Press - Elizabeth's business now owned by her daughter, Meg Swanson.

NEWS FLASH! I was just flipping channels and "Stuart Little" is on. I did not know that the father in the movie was Hugh Laurie - as in "House" the obnoxious Doctor on TV. What a completely different character!

Tomorrow I have a family gathering but should have time to get batteries and take a few pictures. We'll see what life brings!